Links to interesting material
Some of my writing on various political issues:
Note: older links may break as news organizations don't keep stories online very long.
- Writings between March 2008 and May 2011 are at
- To Raise or Not to Raise (the Debt Limit), June 2011.
- The Electoral College and the Direct Popular Vote Ryan Globus, January 2009. In a break with tradition, I didn't write this. My son wrote it as a school project. I liked it so much I've included it here.
- Thoughts on the U.S. national debt and deficit:
- U.S. Federal Debt, Part I, The Problem, November 2010.
- U.S. Federal Debt, Part II, Incentives, November 2010.
- U.S. Federal Debt, Part III, Expenses and Income, December 2010.
- Everyone Makes More Money When a Democrat is President Al Globus, September 2008. It's true. The data show that, since World War II incomes have risen more when a Democrat is president, especially for lower and middle class people; and even the rich do a little better.
- Is an End to War Possible? Al Globus, March 2008.
- A Space Program for Americans, 2008 Al Globus, February 2008.
- This U.S. Military Will Surprise You: a discussion of The U.S. Army - Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual and the rather surprising lessons it has for Iraq, Afghanistan, and the struggle against al Qaeda.
- Space War is not Inevitable an October 2007 letter to Space News.
- A U.S.-Iran War? Some History
- YouTube questions for the Republican presidential debate in November 2007:
- Debt. It asks the Republican presidential candidates what they are going to do about our $9 trillion debt.
- Space Solar Power Do they think the US should invest in space solar power to end energy dependency and prevent future war (and, by the way, end anthropomorphic greenhouse warming)?
- Iran How would they win a war with Iran?
- Counterinsurgency Warfare Have they read the US Army and Marine Corp Counterinsurgency Field Manual and do they agree with it?
- A Better Strategy for America? April 2007. How to depose King Oil, stop global warming, and provide everyone all the energy they could possibly want for far less than the cost of failure to control Persian Gulf oil militarily -- and America can do it entirely alone if necessary.
- Not Winning or Losing? November 2006, my reanalysis of Americas wars after reading the classic "Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice" by David Galula.
- A Tale of Four Wars October 2006 a discussion of the wars America is involved in and how we're doing (hint: lousy).
- Towards a Democratic Win in 2006, 16 July 2006. Advice to the Democratic Party. They took almost none of it and won anyway, gives you an idea of how influential and important I am :-)
- Will Bush Nuke Iran? 16 March 2006.
- For better government ... put (almost everything on the Web 'cause sunshine is the best disinfectant. January 2006.
- George Bush said ... January 2006. Why nobody should listen to George Bush -- he's either wrong or lying about very important things.
- The End of War? January 2006. An historical analysis of why war may become a thing of the past in the not too distant future. Wouldn't that be nice?
- Iraq: Win or Leave December 2005 an analysis of how to win in Iraq and why Bush and the Republicans won't (to be fair, the Democrats won't either).
- Your Rights go Poof September 2005. How America is trading our freedom for a false sense of security.
- Iraq and World War II August 2005. Why today's Iraq is not like Germany and Japan in WWII.
- Is Intelligent Design Science? August 2005. Actually, yes. Just very poor quality, unimportant science.
- Why is Al Qaeda Alive and Well? July 2005. Note that al Qaeda is even stronger today (June 2007) than when this was written. Why Bush and the Republican Party haven't died of embarrassment is a mystery to me.
- Bush Attacks Democracy in the Americas June 2005.
- Is America the World's Bully? May 2005. Unfortunately, for America, a lot of people around the world say yes, and for good reason. We can, and must, turn this around.
- How to Actually Win the War on Drugs April 2005. Hint: the criminal justine system has proved conclusively that it can't -- but the civil court system can do a lot of damage to a profitable business that creates liabilities by hurting its customers.
- Nuclear Power Plants Make Lovely Tagets March 2005. Published in the Wired letters to the editor.
- Kyoto and Global Warming February 2005.
- My Social Security Solution February 2005.
- Bush Social Security Plan Translations February 2005. How to translate the terminology used by Bush in the social security debate.
- Deficits = Future Taxes January 2005. Why tax cuts without spending limits really means more taxes (hint: if you borrow money, you have to pay it back, with interest).
- War with Iran January 2005. Why war with Iran is a really bad idea -- unless you like the draft, death, destruction, taxes, and high oil prices.
- Social Security and Massive Future Taxes January 2005.
September 2010 Inside al Qaeda a terrific Newsweek article on the experiences of a 16 year old Afghan boy recruited by al Qaeda. Short story: our military is making life very, very difficult for al Qaeda, but there are still more than enough recruits to replace their very high casualties. Stopping the recruitment will be very tough. The Palestine and Kashmir conflicts will need to be resolved, the U.S. must withdraw from both Iraq and Afghanistan, and a PR campaign along the lines of those suggested by Malcolm Nance in "An End to al Qaeda" will need to be implemented.
September 2010 Presidential popularity data is a wonderful USA Today visualization of the polling data on every president starting with Truman. Interesting tidbit: Reagan's popularity followed a course very similar to Obama's and perhaps for the same reason, both inherited an economic mess that took more than two years to turn around.